Our discussion today is an overview on the operations and the person of the Holy Spirit in the life of a believer. This is so important to us believers because the Spirit of God wants us to understand and utilise His things (abilities and persona) that are freely given to us to function and live in this world.
Hebrews 4:12 declares that God in us is alive and active. As we begin this series, we trust His gifts and person will become operational in our lives in Jesus name. The study is structured as follows: “The Giver”, “The Gift”, “The Fruit” and “How to Cultivate Them”.
Now concerning spiritual gifts, I don’t want you to be ignorant (Uninformed), the Bible says in 1 Corinthians 12:1. It means we are encouraged to understand and prioritize this subject.
We should be fully informed that:
- God is the giver of spiritual gifts and abilities. In other words, no one can say Jesus is Lord except by the Holy Spirit
- All good and perfect gifts come from above and come from the father of light (James 1:17)
- There are diversities of gifts but the same Lord (in operation) (1 Corinthians 12:4)
- To each one of us grace was given (Ephesians 4:7)
- The Spirit has given us these gifts for a purpose
- These gifts are precious divine resources that should not be wasted or abused (Matthew 25:14-30) – Discuss the Parable of talents
- They are given according to His will
- They can come and increase in measure through faith (so you are allowed to covet them)
The Gifts of the Spirit
The gifts of the Spirit are special abilities given by the Holy Spirit to believers for the purpose of church edification, service (meeting needs), and for exercising dominion.
1 Corinthians 12:8-10 includes the spirit of wisdom, knowledge, faith, healing, discernment of spirits, speaking in tongues, working of miracles, prophecy, and interpretation of tongues. The chapter further includes administration and helps.
Ephesians 4:7-13 enlists the ministering or office gifts as follows: Prophets, Apostles, Evangelist, Pastors and Teachers.
Romans 12:3-8 includes exhortation, giving, leadership and mercy.
The Purpose of the Gifts
- To profit all – 1 Corinthians 1:7
- For equipping saints in the ministry
- For navigating through life
The Fruit of the Spirit
The expression “fruit of the Spirit “ is a metaphor used to sum up the nine major spiritual virtues or attributes a true Christian should possess. In short, they are physical manifestations of a transformed life.
The Purpose of the Fruit of the Spirit
- To make heaven
- To produce lasting changes in character /behaviour that is consistent with who we are
- To make visible the Holiness/Persona of God
- To be a Christian
How to Acquire, Cultivate, and Increase the Measure of the Gifts and the Fruit
- You must be born again
- Glorify God for whatever He has given you now
- Identify new operations in your life. If confused meet spiritual elders close to you
- You must use or you may lose them
- Sharpen, pray, study and walk closely with those who have the gifts you want
- Dare to use them in seemingly difficult situations and believe God for more