Christians, Be Wise
Why are we here, what is the purpose of life, and where are we going? If we knew the answers to these questions we would be wise in the way we live. Wisdom is the correct application of knowledge and it is also written that: “Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom. And in all your getting, get understanding” (Pro 4:7 NKJV). Our Lord and Saviour is coming back and we need to be wise by staying alert.
The King is Coming
The Lord Jesus Christ is coming again but this time, not as a baby, but as a conquering king, with fire in His eyes and ruling with a rod of iron (Rev 19:11-16). He says: “And behold, I am coming quickly; and My reward is with Me, to give to every one according to his work” (Rev 22:12 NKJV).
Two major features of His coming are very clear:
- He will come at an unexpected time (Mat 25:6; II Pet 3:10).
- We will give account; as He will come with both rewards and terror (II Cor 5:10-11, Rev 20:11; 22:12).
A Call to Wise Living
Since we know the King will be back and will demand that we give account at His return, we should be wise and lead a very careful lifestyle. A question is in order here: “Can we be too careful?” There may be many options or alternatives but we should simply choose the way of the Lord. So as not to be caught unaware by His coming, we need to focus on Him (Heb 12:1-4) and take note of the following among others:
- We have an assignment and the time is short – we will not be here forever. Therefore, identify your God-given life’s goals and pursue them. Meanwhile, our attitude should be that of fellowship before service; and service instead of activities (Hos 6:6).
- The Christian walk is, first of all, a private one (Mat 25:8-10).
- Focus on that which has significance in God’s kingdom (Col 3:1-3).
- Live one day at a time (Mat 6:34; Phil 1:6; 4:6-7).
- Do not compromise, for you do not know the day or hour of His return (Mat 25:13).
- Keep your peace, be still and see God at work (Psa 46:10).
It is a reality that our Lord is coming back. This calls for wisdom in how we live. God sent us here for a purpose; the ultimate part of which is to serve Him and we must do this day by day. Sometimes the storms of life can sweep us off balance, but we should remember that only in keeping step with Him day by day can we really become the best that He wants us to be. He cares, He really does, and He wants us to be vigilant and prepared, always trusting Him, thinking straight and looking steadily at the joy that is set before us. Finally, in the midst of our greatest challenges, God is still God and He will come through on our behalf; we just need to be still.