A Life of Giving – The Benefits
Jesus, our example of faith, always emphasises the giving part of our Christian faith (John 3:16, John 10:10, Luke 6:38, and 2 Corinthians 8:9). Jesus gave His life that we may have eternal life, so there is nothing we give now that can measure to what He had to give so that we may have abundant life.
As a Christian, the true test of our faithfulness and commitment is only validated by our giving because it requires sacrifice. It becomes easier by the power of the Holy Spirit. The Holy Spirit is a gift promised by Jesus Christ and on the Day of Pentecost, the Apostles were blessed with the gift of the Holy Spirit baptism (Acts 2:4).
Giving takes various forms as recommended in the bible. We are to ensure that we do all kinds of giving so that we can be children of our Father in heaven.
What Can You Give?
- Giving of money
- Giving of time
- Giving of prayers and worship
- Giving of counsel and friendship
- Giving of ourselves – heart, mind, soul
Benefits of Giving
- It brings order to your life and finances.
- It demonstrates that God has first place in your life.
- It stretches your faith.
- It reminds you that you are not in control, but God is.
- You get to celebrate when lives are changed.
- You get to model for your kids what Biblical stewardship looks like.
- You play a part in getting the gospel out around the world.
- It breaks the grip of greed and selfishness in your life.
- You get to invest in something much bigger than yourself that will last much longer than you.
- You discover that you can never out-give God!
Excel in Giving (2 Corinthians 8:1-7, 3 John 1:2-5)
God’s plans and purpose is for us to excel in every area of our lives. Many Christians believe that as long as they are spiritual and going to Heaven, giving is not mandatory.
Not giving or stinginess leads to poverty and it can lead to frustration in life (Proverbs 11:24-26). We are born to be a blessing in every area of our lives to the body of Christ.